So I have been thinking. First, I decided that I will make a change to my business. I was attempting to sell my jewelry at the local Farmer's Market but find although my designs are what I call "nature-inspired", they are probably too high end for this venue. SO after talking with my husband we decided to rent some space at the gallery in North Carolina where I currently have some pieces on consignment. I will be setting up my space there very soon - more on that at a later date.
For the Farmer's Market, I am taking this month off to get my ideas together. During my days sitting there I had LOADS of time to watch people. Here's what I observed:
- there are TWO other jewelry vendors (and their prices are quite low compared to mine - BUT hey, ALL my pieces include artbeads made by myself or my artist friends!)
- there were quite a few families with children visiting the market.
- the children were my BEST visitors - very talkative, asked me lots of questions and wanted to try things on (made their parents cringe when they picked up my pieces but I told them no worries, it's fine!)
- I liked interacting with the children. I have worked with kids my whole life but in recent years I had gotten away from it.
- My space is located near the entrance to the Visitor's Center (where the bathrooms and sitting benches are located LOL!) I actually have loads of traffic!
Since my older grandkids are visiting this summer I decided WHY NOT gear things towards the kids?
First Saturdays at the market are geared to families - they have a petting zoo, live music and other special activities. I want to take full advantage of it!
I'm busy now researching, gathering new supplies (bright colored glazes!) and trying out some designs. I want to make some jewelry, kits and "try me" activities. I'm planning on getting my granddaughters* into the act too! Thinking they can make some magnets, pinchpots and such things. Maybe I can even get some teaching gigs out of the deal!
* my grandson will be there too, he's the eye-candy for the teen girls being dragged along! LOL.
We'll see how it pans out BUT in the meantime all this planning HAS picked up my spirits a bit! Fingers crossed!